[at-l] Earl Shaffer's hike

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Mon Jul 4 18:32:44 CDT 2011

On 7/4/2011 12:20 PM, Jim Bullard wrote:
> And the anal retentive crowd will have one more thing to
> feel self-righteous about.
>
> I for one have never believed it was about honoring a
> bunch of paint marks on trees, rather it was "/To see. And
> to see what you see/". The trail is a path /through /the
> woods along the Appalachian Mountain chain. It isn't about
> itself. It's about the the woods and the mountains that it
> traverses. Hiking it is a ritual or pilgrimage, not unlike
> the rituals of religion, meant to lead the participant to
> a larger, transcendent experience. The path or ritual
> takes you to the emotional and spiritual space where you
> can be open to and experience that transcendence, but if
> you get trapped in the physical ritual, you will miss the
> transcendence.

I went to hike the whole trail. and, that's what I did.
And, I had a helluva time doing it.  Anybody who says I
didn't enjoy my hike to the fullest extent because I was a
purist is, quite simply, full of shit.  And, anybody who
fails a thru-hike and says it is because it 'was about the
journey and not the destination' is full of shit.  Doesn't
mean they didn't have a helluva time. It doesn't mean they
didn't see what they saw. It means they failed a thru-hike.
What is so hard to understand about that?  I'm not sure
about rituals and pilgrimages....my hike was neither. I went
to hike the whole trail. and, that's what I did.