[at-l] Stoves and fuel

Teresa French Wench WenchAT03 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 3 16:19:24 CST 2009

I used an "open" alcohol stove and loved it.  I made numerous can stoves,
was given a stove or two, and bought a cat food can stove made my Swede
Hansen (available on Florida Trail Association's web-store at
http://www.floridatrail.org/OBM/Other-Items/95/Detailed-product-flyer.html ).
Before my hike, I put the same amount of alcohol in each, lit them and timed
them to boil for 1 cup and 2 cups of water.  IIRC, Swede's stove wasn't much
slower than the fastest pressurized and was faster than most that I had.
Also, since I usually cooked only for 1 meal, the amount of alcohol used was
pretty small.  I never measured how much I put in the stove once on the
trail, but learned how much was necessary to boil what I needed.  Usually it
was just enough to cover the bottom of the can.  It was easy to light too.
I think I bought 2 for $8, but that was 6-7 years ago.  I don't know if
Swede changed his design or not from then.  It's difficult to tell from the
pic on the website.  I still use the stove I used on the AT in '03, even
though I have an unused one still.  :-)))

I never had trouble finding alcohol.  If I/we had to purchase, we just split
a container of HEET.  I think I carried less than 10 oz most of the time.

Research, try 'em if possible, and find something that works for you.
Conisder ease of use, weight, how often you'll cook and what type of cooking
you'll do.

:-)
Wench
www.trailjournals.com/wench