[at-l] sleeping bag?

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 08:11:27 CST 2009

--- On Sat, 10/31/09, Cody Girl <codycodygirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> All my backpack experience is for trips 5 days or less ...
### Most of your AT hike will be "trips" of 5 days or less. Maybe half a dozen 6-8 day stints, if you cared to stretch things out. (Going into town costs time AND money, so longer pieces are an advantage on that score alone.)

> My avg 40-45# fully loaded pack
> has been fine for short trips (frankly because I didn't
> know any better), but long haul will wear me down.  I want
> to improve my odds of getting to Maine.
### Very smart, but the biggest thing that will cut your carry weight is not lots and lots of lightweight purchases, but instead LEAVING STUFF HOME. (I think Mara said that earlier.) I'll wager right now that you could cut your pack weight in half *right* *now* by simply having your pack tuckerized. (Having someone go through it and say "No." "No." "No." "Only one." "No." "FOUR?!? What are you thinking??? NO."...)

> I have a nice warm snuggly 15 degree down bag that
> weighs 3lb 1oz, but I now know I can save some weight
> here.  I'm pretty sure I want to stick with down, but
> am wondering what bag you would recommend for the early
> chilly days of an AT thru hike.
### I have a 0°F bag that weighs that much, but I would still leave yours alone. I would instead consider a $260, 45°F bag (I have one of these
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/western-mountaineering/highlite/ )
and have it sent to the first post office following Mt Rogers (500 miles up). That will cut 2 pounds out for the 1700 miles all the way to Katahdin, and you'll really be sailing.

> Down or synthetic?
### As a lifelong synthetic guy (been soaked), I've made the change to down (winter and summer) and haven't really looked back.

> 15 degree or higher?
### 20°F is a standard if you're looking to use a single bag.

> Use a liner?
### Standard fleece is amazing. And cheap.

> Cadillac worth more than a Chevy?
### In pretty much every piece of backcountry gear, go for the cheapshit. Cadillacs will come with a lifetime warranty, a build quality of tremendous strength and sculpted wonder, and a VERY heavy pack weight. As someone noted, the only exception to this is sleeping bags -- blow the beans on a GOOD (meaning, "excellent") sleeping bag. And socks. (Smartwoolllll. Darn Tough. Bridgedale.) Light is cheap on packs (Equinox, GossamerGear, ULA (heavy duty ultra lite), Six Moons, MoonbowGear, etc. Are all way-cheap compared to what your getting, versus the "mainstream" packs you might be directed to. Oh, and Osprey's made some impact over in Frankland. Hmmmm.) Mirro Grease Pot ($6, 2 oz?) versus 12 oz $40 titanium wonderment with extra-dry clean-free no-cancer nonstick coatings (triple done, to maximize the length of time to degrade...) Antigravity Gear has a good larger size, plus pre-made cozy(s), for good prices.

geargeektoe