[at-l] pulled from my files....from eArThworm's search back in '07... Re: .What's a Ruck?

Rosalind Suit rosalind.suit at verizon.net
Sun Nov 1 10:53:29 CST 2009

 Knew I'd kept the answer to that question !!  Found it !!

Rosie/mdhiker

MORE ON: Re: What's 'ruck?'

Posted by: "Linda Patton" lpatton at mailer.fsu.edu HYPERLINK "http://profiles.yahoo.com/pattonlinda"pattonlinda

Sat Nov 3, 2007 4:06 pm (PST)

OK, I just found what I was looking for on the SoRuck site and in the
AT-L archives... ~~ eArThworm
Ruck: (noun) [Middle English] First appeared in the 15th century: an
indistinguishable gathering: JUMBLE.

"There are only so many words that indicate a gathering, or a group of
people coming together. "Gathering" was the word that I really wanted
to use, but that is taken, of course. [He's referring to the ALDHA
Gathering each October] I searched through the dictionary looking
for synonyms and the only word that looked wholly unfamiliar was
"Ruck." I looked into that, and found that I very much liked it. It
was simple, mysterious, and rather pleasantly blunt. After the first
Pine Grove Ruck occurred, we had to call it "something." For lack of
a better term, Ruck stuck. Best, Waldo."