[at-l] They ain't lightnin' bugs...

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 14:05:21 CDT 2007

In a message dated 2007-04-21 14:51:58 Eastern Daylight Time,
athiker at smithville.net writes:

Don't  you folx know I'm old enuff to know what a lightnin' bug/firefly
is?   These things were wingless bugs, not really worm-ish, more  like
dodecoped (is that a 12-legged thing??). So...they are about 3/16th  of
an inch long...wider at the head with a body shaped like an
arrowhead...the tip of the tail glows...doesn't 'flash' like a lightning
bug...they crawl on the ground in leaves along the banks of a stream.

Exactly!  Glow worms.  Lots of creatures have  phospherescence.  Love sailing
along at night and with a hand or a paddle  in the water out on LI Sound the
phospherescence is like magic light.  Of  course, I never saw that kind on the
AT but then my trek on the AT was not that  far in distance.  Of course if
there was this kind of thing seen near a  stream then perhaps it is the same
kind of thing as in the salt water of LI  Sound.  Almost makes me want to go
sailing again.  Perhaps you could  capture a few examples in a jar, take them to
the County Agricultural Center and  ask them to indentify what you caught.
Then again, you could just admire  them.  Or you could bring a friend who is
versed in bugs to come along and  I D them.  Or you could just leave them where
they glow and have that inner  satisfaction that you have seen a miracle
(actually a natural miracle).  Or  if that is a redundancy then you could write about
it on this list and people  could guess at what you saw when you saw it.

Jack Skylander  (Glimmer, glimmer)