[at-l] trail trees, Speaking of Which...

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 09:25:41 CDT 2007

On 4/21/07, Jan Leitschuh <janl2 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> > Felix...
> (snip)
> > naturally bent...
>
> Need more be said?

Yesterday I was out raking the yard, our snow finally being gone and
along the fence line on the NW side a large limb had fallen on a small
sapling that was growing beside the large tree. I dragged (too heavy
to lift) the limb to my "to cut" wood pile but after removing it from
the sapling the younger tree remained bent over at a perfect 90 degree
angle. I have no doubt that the top, now horizontal for about 2-3'
will revert to growing upwards this summer and if it survives 50 or
more years the large tree will be gone and people will puzzle about
how this tree came to grow vertically for more than 2', horizontally
for 2-3', then vertically again.

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/