[at-l] thong trees (was: "Special" AT Trees)

Richard Mann yugrekih at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 13:25:54 CDT 2007

Coosa (who is no longer on this list but may still be on the womens list) told me years ago about the "indian seat" or "indian chair" trees that are seen here and there along the AT and many many places elsewhere.  She indicated that these trees "pointed" to water sources or caves or something else of importance to the Native Americans that created them.  Coosa also indicaed to me that she is part Cherokee...

If you google "thong trees", you will find a wealth of information.  Here are a few links:

http://www.historicpeoria.com/entry.php?eid=363&catid=3&cid=1
http://ilsteward.nres.uiuc.edu/Issues/2006/Summer/mysteries.htm
http://www.roundrockjournal.com/?p=195
http://www.funlake.com/do_see/outdoors/thongs.php
http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/wi78b.htm
http://www.lakehistory.info/thong.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mostone/photo/thongtree.htm

and then this "thong tree" from Florida:

http://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2006/01/real-thong-tree.html

Pittsburgh