[at-l] special trees

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 12:47:47 CDT 2007

On 4/14/07, Pete Randrup <hardhead at 1956.usna.com> wrote:
> Ok, that might explain how the first bend was established
> in the 'marker' tree.  Say it is so . . . how did the second
> bend (erecting the remainder of the truck) take place.
>
> Perhaps the marker makers were government workers.
> They sat around for a couple of years to insure that
> first bend took hold.  Their work to erect the truck after
> establishing the horizontal portion would be a harder
> trick in as much as the trunk would have gained stature
> in size.
>
> What say you?

Once the tree is bent over, by whatever means, it is the natural
tendency of a tree to resume growing straight up. Thus, a limb that
was already pointing more or less upward would take over as the main
trunk and grow skyward without any coaxing. All this would have to
take place while the tree was still a sapling and sufficiently supple
to tolerate the initial bending.

As far as I'm concerned, who did it or even whether it is due to human
intervention, is still an open question. I've surfed a number of sites
regarding the phenomenon and have yet to see one quote a source for
the "Indian Trail Tree" theory which is clearly a common folkloric
explanation. Folklore however is not always reliable as a source. It
could have been done by juveniles as a joke, snickering to themselves
as they did it, over how the result would puzzle future generations.
--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/