[at-l] "Special" AT Trees

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 20:16:09 CDT 2007

I was curious because the article in the original link that began this
discussion hypothesized that the Native Americans had forgotten about
trail trees because of their relocation to Oklahoma where (the author
alleged)  "there are no trees".

Not only am I not certain, as the author seemed to be, that there are
no trees in Oklahoma but inclusion of that comment suggested that
perhaps the author had asked Native Americans (as Sawnie suggested was
the logical thing to do) and, not receiving a positive response was
trying to explain why they might not remember it. In any case I
thought it interesting that someone from Oklahoma had knowledge of the
trail tree stories and wondered if perhaps it was part of Native
American oral history. Since you did not get it directly but have
heard of it anyway while living in Oklahoma I wonder how Native
Americans could have "forgotten" about it while others around them
knew about it.

Sorry to be so analytical but as the family historian and an
independent student of history I am all too aware of how myths and
legends grow up and displace the true facts.

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/