[at-l] "Special" AT trees...

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Thu Apr 12 19:31:20 CDT 2007

I'm not saying that humans, native or otherwise, didn't "make" such trees.  In
fact, it make sense that they did -- to mark things.

However, to say that nature could not do it is contrary to my experience.

I have seen far younger trees in such formations.  I have seen spring poles
(made by deadfalls, whole trees, or just tops) survive in a bent/arched over
form.  Either the main leader turns back upwards, or a branch becomes the
leader.  After some time, the deadfall rots away and strangely formed younger
tree remains.  In the north snow can do it.

As far south as PA, deer eat the tops out of trees (or just the terminal buds
of the leader), often at some height off the ground -- while standing on
packed snow.  Even farther south the leader, or its terminal bud, can be
damaged by insect, wind, etc.  Again a strangely shaped tree can result.  This
time it can rise straight up for some distant, make a right angle turn to the
horizontal, run horizontally for a distance, and then make another right angle
turn back to the vertical.  I have cut some of these only inches in diameter
to make walking sticks.

Chainsaw