[at-l] So why do you wan to hike the trail?

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 11:37:25 CDT 2007

When I was first married and my new wife did something inexplicable
(to me) I'd ask "Why...?" Her reply frequently was "Do I need a
reason?"

Something about hiking in general and the AT in particular pulls at
me. I can't explain it. It isn't about challenges. I enjoy photography
but I can (and do) take lots of photos of nature without hiking
anywhere to shoot them. Challenge? I've had lots of challenges in life
including many I'd happily have done without. At 62 the only
'challenges' I'll voluntarily undertake are pretty tame. It isn't
about spirituality/religion. I can feel close to nature & God in my
own garden and frequently do. It isn't about philosophy, rites of
passage or even for the social aspect of the hiking community. The
truth is I'm not a very social person. It certainly isn't about living
on the edge. I've come face-to-face with my own mortality enough to
make me a cautious person in the woods. I really don't have an
explanation so I'll resort to my wife's response...

Do I need a reason?

--
Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/