[at-l] So why do you wan to hike the trail?

greyowl at rcn.com greyowl at rcn.com
Sun Apr 8 11:09:18 CDT 2007

Because it is there? How Victorian.  To challenge yourself?  Good for your, but
there are many challenges in life why did you choose this particular one?  To
find out who you are?  That is kind of strange, I knew who I was when I was six,
what I am going to do when I grow up is a different question.  A right of
passage?  I would recommend the mother of all rights of passage, a year in Iraq.
All of your questions will be answered (I did the Vietnam version, jungles ain't
fun either).

So why do I want to hike the trail?  Actually I really don't want to hike the whole
AT, it just doesn't interest me and life is just too short to spend 6 months on a
trail.  Now six months above the artic circle is another story or spending a year
on a sail boat going around the world is even more of an adventure.  Life is too
short to do or see everything that I want to do.  No I am going to say life is a
journey, even though it is.  We are born, we live, we die.  The important part is
how we live.  I personally believe that if you do not live on the edge than you are
taking up too much room.  Hiking is not lving on the edge unless it is through
trackless wilderness with only a gun and a bed roll, a pot and some corn meal.

So the adventure begins.  Baby steps at first as my wife is joining me and she is
not one for adventure.  See you all on the trail/river/ocean/mountain, etc.  The
first step is moving in July.  The second step is a bare bones webpage.  I will
post the hiking here.

Bob