[at-l] Grandma Gatewood a fraud? Earl Schaffer says so.

Bob C ellen at clinic.net
Wed Apr 4 22:10:06 CDT 2007

Grandma Gatewood certainly hiked "on the AT." In my conversations with Earl Shaffer, I never heard him say she never hiked, only that she was a "bum." He was offended that she sometimes begged meals and lodging from trailside homes. Earl never made much money and lived very frugally. Until his final years without running water or electricity, I undertand. But he always paid his own way.

Weary