[at-l] Nasty Nancy...

Richard Mann yugrekih at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 09:57:44 CDT 2007

I was in Georgia last week hiking on the trail.  On Wednesday, I hooked up with a group of kids/adults from Zanesville Ohio.  These kids are a Special Education High School group.  They were hiking from Gooch Gap (mile 16.4) to Woody Gap (mile 20.0).  They were exuberant about being on the trail and out of urbia.  Their exuberance ticked off one hiker who cussed them out as they passed her.  When I heard this, I hiked in to find this hiker...

I found her and asked her name, which was Nancy.  I explained nicely (at first) that this was not Nancy's Trail, it was the Appalachian Trail, and that everyone was invited.  She explained to me that the kids scared away the Tufted Titmouse that she was observing, and that the kids needed to be quiet so as not to scare off the wildlife.  I tried to explain that she had 179 days, 23 hours and 11-3/4 hours left of her hike, and that she should not have tried to ruin the hike of a bunch of exuberant Special Ed kids fresh outta urbia.  She explained to me that these kids had no place on the trail...

Well, she got a scolding that she will not soon forget...

Pittsburgh