[at-l] Out and Back Again - 110 miles on the GET

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 00:14:22 CDT 2007

As some of you know, we started our hike of the Grand Enchantment Trail on
March 21.  First we wound our way through the Superstition Mountains near
Phoenix for 30 miles, then we descended toward the mining town of Superior
on a section of the Arizona Trail.  The country was beautiful - lush Sonoran
desert and orange and red cliffs and volcanic rock formations - but solitude
was not an option as the Superstition Wilderness is a very popular getaway,
especially this time of year.  We got lucky in that the 100 degree
temperatures we experienced when we arrived in Phoenix dropped the day we
started our hike. A storm front passed through, dropping some significant
rain every day for the first four days, and temps dropped to the mid-70's.
We reached Superior, 50 miles into the hike, midway on day four.  We decided
to stop to clean up and buy groceries and snared the second to last room at
the only motel in town. It was a brief but welcome chance to clean up and
dry out.

Next morning we headed out on the Arizona Trail, which the GET follows for
about 60 miles, and followed a combination of nice trail and easy wash
walking up to a series of jeep roads high above the valley.  There was a
wild section of trail in the White Rock Wilderness where we tried to dance
through dense prickly pears and cholla.  Jim tripped and somehow managed to
land in the only six foot section of the entire valley that wasn't covered
with cactus.  It didn't matter as we were both carrying our share of cuts,
scratches and miscellaneous thorns in our hands and legs, but at least we
didn't have to spend the next two hours plucking cactus spines out of his
hide.  The White Rock cliffs were gorgeous - about 200 feet high colorful
cliffs - but there was no trail beyond there for several miles so we ended
up walking dirt and paved roads past the huge Ray Copper Mine to a crossing
of the muddy Gila River. Not a good water source!  Fortunately a BLM ranger
stopped to chat, excited to see hikers actually using the trail he had
worked so hard to help build, and he gave us some much appreciated icy cold
water.

The next several miles of trail wound high on ridges, with beautiful views
of some very wild and remote desert.  We ended the day after 20 miles at our
first natural water source of the day - a very, very slow piped trickle at a
cow trough.  It was slow, but worth the wait.  The next day our only water
source was a water cache put out some months ago by the Arizona Trail
Association.  Most of the jugs had disintegrated in the sun, but there were
still two that were useable, so we split one jug of water and left the
second for the next GET or AZT hikers.

On day eight of our hike we split off from the Arizona Trail and headed up
wide Putnam Wash toward the town of Mammoth.  It was easy walking, flat and
smooth on sandy river bottom.  There was even a trickle of water along one
side of the wash. Because of all the rain we experienced our first few days
of the hike, there were lots of different desert wildflowers in bloom.  The
only cactus in bloom were some yuccas, hedgehogs and ocotillo, but elsewhere
we saw lots of poppies, bottlebrush, globemallow, mariposas, phlox, etc.  We
only saw a few animals - lots of birds and hawks, but only one rattlesnake,
a desert tortoise, several rabbits and squirrels, and two deer.

We reached Mammoth on Wednesday afternoon and got a series of checks:  the
only motel was full (so we camped just outside town on the sandy bank of the
San Pedro River), we couldn't get a permit to hike in Aravaipa Wilderness
until Monday (every weekend is booked until May), and once again there was
no fuel for our stove (Superior was a bust too, in that regard, but we had
enough to last for four more days - no more).

Combined with very sore feet, a general lack of enthusiasm/commitment for
the hike, and an inner voice that was telling both of us that we were in the
wrong place at the wrong time - we decided to leave the trail.  It wasn't an
easy decision to make, as neither of us has quit on a long hike - but at the
same time it was fairly easy since we were both feeling that same lack of
enthusiasm.  I started thinking of the many other places I want to visit
this spring/summer and we decided that we'd rather be visiting them now than
continue hiking the GET.  We enjoyed the sections of trail we did hike - but
now wasn't the right time for it. Doing a long distance hike requires total
commitment to the goal - and we didn't have it.  We want to be playing more
and relaxing more than is really allowable when doing a long hike in country
where water is 15-20 miles apart.  It takes a lot of discipline - and we
just weren't in the mood.

So, in a couple of days we'll leave Phoenix and explore more of the west -
the Chiricauhuas, Havusu Falls, southern Utah, etc.  We still plan to head
to Canada in July - though we'll see whether we'll thruhike the GDT or just
explore some more.  We'll keep you posted on our peregrinations.

Walk softly,
Ginny and Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/