[at-l] Australia and New Zealand travel journal updated

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 08:41:09 CST 2006

In 2003, I spent the months of January through March traveling in Australia
and New Zealand.  With plenty of internet access, I was able to send
frequent email updates.  At times however, I had to send very abbreviated
journal entries.  It's taken over three years, but I finally got around to
revisiting my hand-written journal.  I've updated the rough page I had
posted on my web site upon my return to the U.S. in the spring of '03 to
include the full text of my journal (as best I could read my own
handwriting).

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/OZNZ.html

I've CC'ed the AT list as my time on Tasmania was punctuated with visits
with AT thruhikers.  Stuart, from at-l, put me in touch with his Dad, Mad
Max.  I ended up staying at Max's place and visiting with both him and Alf.

I also ran into a El Chasqui while on the Overland Track.  We didn't know
each other and we were going in opposite directions but for some reason, we
stopped to talk.  Most other hikers, laboring under huge and heavy loads,
could barely spit out a greeting as they went by but El Chasqui was
different.  I realized later that he was smiling.  I probably was, too.  We
were both going light and enjoying the hiking as much as the camping
(hutting?), so neither of us felt compelled to keep walking when we met.  We
both had plenty of time to get where we were going.  It didn't take long to
figure out we had both thruhiked the AT.  We ended up chatting for 45
minutes before continuing in opposite directions.

Small world.

Oh yeah, I've indexed the trails I've hiked on my Trip Reports page.  For
hikes that were part of larger trips, these links go directly to the
relevant sections within the larger reports (where possible).

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/reports.html (scroll down or click
on Trails List)

Wishing I were traveling again...

Mara

P.S.  My housing situation is up in the air right now.  If my landlords sell
this house (I rent one of three units), I may have to move.  Until the
situation settles one way or the other, I won't be doing any long trips.  I
am open to suggestions and opportunities for interesting shorter trips.
Ideas, anyone?